01 August 2010

Sunday Favorite: 41

What a weekend!

I went to Kub Lucky, a bear event that was held at the House of Blues in Downtown Disney in Anaheim. If you remember, I was thinking of going because I need to get out and socialize. Friday morning I went online and bought my "advance" ticket which saved me $2!

I started out my evening by going to the Hearthstone Lounge at the California Grand Hotel. This is one of my favorite places to go have a cocktail or two. I had two cosmos - yum! As the waitress brought my drink, a gentleman sitting with another guy commented on how pretty my drink looked. When the second drink arrived, the guy commented again and we ended up having a nice chat about Disneyland, alcohol, Club 33, Southern California freeways, and travel. The two men are straight or so I assumed since the talker of the two kept talking about a girlfriend. I finally told them I needed to go.

I walked over to the House of Blues, got my ticket, went through security, then walked up the stairs to the outside patio. There were tons of bears, cubs, and men of all shapes and sizes. I saw some friends and talked to them; I ended up knowing maybe 4 guys at the event. Attendance was well over 200. On the outside patio, the music and videos were courtesy of DJ Zach. I didn't really pay much attention to his music selection until later.

Finally the main doors opened so down the stairs to the main venue I went and I admit to being a bit overwhelmed. There were so many men! And a few women as well. The music was provided by DJ Pete Savas, who is a freaking HOT daddy bear. I love men who can pull off wearing a kilt! Now I do not profess to be an expert on house music...in fact a lot of it sounds the same to me. I did recognize Lady Gaga's Bad Romance but that was about all. I did enjoy the music and light show.

The event was hosted by a drag queen named Momma...she was "okay." At one point she was screaming into the microphone while the music was blaring (with that heavy bass thump thump thump) and I couldn't understand a single word. She lip synched to "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" and was passable.

I only had one complaint: the go go bears. They were not what I consider bears. One was beefy but all were smooth and extremely muscular. I enjoyed watching them - and spotted the straight ones who were obviously not "into" dancing. Another complaint is the price of drinks. I decided to drink beer - Bud Lite of all things - and they were $10 for a 24 oz can. WTF? I had two. LOL!

I never did meet up with some of my other friends who were supposed to be there. I did, however, make a new friend, Eric. He's younger than me, clean shaven, more chub than bear, but a nice guy. He started out with the classic pickup line "You look so familiar!" We started chatting and spent most of the night just hanging out together watching the others dance, the go go boys, etc. I really wanted to get into the pit to dance but I just moved to the music on the sidelines.

At one point I needed some air so I went back up the stairs to the patio area (it overlooks a portion of Downtown Disney). I was in desperate need of a cigarette (yeah yeah I know - don't hate and don't judge) and bummed one off this cute Latino. I offered to pay him but he told me no. Anyway, I moved to the railing and found an empty bar stool. I was playing on my cell phone (web access, you know) and someone moved their arm in front of me. Standing before me was the most adorable guy....kind of a ginger maybe more auburn. We chatted briefly and I tried to get him to unbutton his shirt but he was shy. I complimented him on his beautiful smile and he hugged me and we exchanged names. He asked if I was drunk and I said maybe a little so he cautioned me about driving and DUIs. A complete sweetheart. He made me feel all good inside! I started realizing how good the music upstairs was and debated about spending the rest of my evening there.

I went back downstairs and after a while Eric and I decided to leave. I said my goodbyes to those friends I could find - but unfortunately not the young ginger. So I basically walked Eric to his car since I was walking that way. We chatted some more and went our separate ways.

It was after 2:00 a.m. when I finally got home. And no...I didn't get pulled over! I went to bed and slept til 9:30. Winston let me sleep, which was a miracle in itself. Saturday held exciting events as well: I did house cleaning and took a trip to Lens Crafters to pick out new glasses and order new lenses for my current frames. Thankfully there was some sort of 50% sale on lenses with frames. The lenses are what are expensive as those of you who wear glasses know.

Last night I watched my Netflix: "Being John Malkovich" and "Third Man Out." I was in bed by 9:00 pm!

Today will be the usual trip to the Parental Unit's house. I've got some laundry going; I still need to do ironing. I'm not sure why I don't have my work clothes dry-cleaned. Maybe because that's not how I was raised. Anyway, that's about all I have to tell!

I hope everyone had as good of a weekend as I did! BEHR HUGS!!

6 comments:

Stan said...

Sounds like you had a pretty good night. Something that I need desperately.

Anonymous said...

How fascinating!
Reading your week-end report I was frustrated not to know which way you usually take to go to Anaheim coming from the Calfornia Grand Hotel.
But what a relief to find out eventually that you have to do some laundry and ironing today!
Please keep entertaining us.

Vic Mansfield said...

I want to go to some kind of bear event. Bears. Lots of bears. Friendly fur.

Glad you had some fun.

Cubby said...

I'm glad you had a good weekend. Ten bucks for 24 oz? That's sounds like a reasonable bar price to me, especially for House of Blues. We paid that much for beer at the Celtic Fest last night, and that's in crap-hole Dayton Ohio!

Wonder Man said...

sounds like fun, maybe I should to one of those events

Mark in DE said...

That bear event sounds like fun, except for the $10 beers. Sounds like you met a few nice guys which is always a plus. Are you familiar with http://www.gaytravelfl.com/bear_cruise/index.html? Believe it or not, Spouse & I are going on this along with some friends of ours. You should come too!!!