12 September 2014

Hipster Bear Cub Encounter


This past week I've been suit shopping. During my last 18 years at my former employer, I went from wearing suits to business casual back to professional dress. During those wardrobe transitions, my body changed from plump, to hunky (someone else's words) to chubby. I haven't had a suit or jacket that has fit for a while. Last year I bought a sport jacket to wear to a funeral. Unfortunately it doesn't quite fit properly and is too heavy for the heat wave we've been experiencing. So I decided that I should have a proper suit in case I get an interview.

I've tried department stores and men's shops but really hadn't found anything that appealed or was within my price range. Yesterday, after looking at another department store (nice selection except their sizes didn't go up as far as I needed) I decided it was time to go to the "fat man" shop. I went into a new store called DXL that is a rebranded Casual Male. VERY nice store with extremely nice merchandise. The salesman who assisted me was friendly, knowledgeable, but not pushy or overwhelming. I found a suit and it needs altering so the guy who does the alterations came out to check and do the pinning.

I tried my best to not drool. He was so handsome. A hipster bear cub. He looked very much like the guy in the above picture except his beard was the same color as his hair and it wasn't quite so full plus he was younger. He was friendly, making small talk and explaining what they would do to the suit to make it fit better. He had a gentle touch, too. When he said that it fit well across the shoulders he ran his hand across my shoulders then touched the center of my back and said "We'll let out the back seam to give you more room around the middle."  I chalked it up to he being into his job and not that he likes chubby white guys. I'm hoping he'll be there next week when I go to pick up the finished suit. 

I don't see many hipster bears and cubs out in the real world. I see pictures of them on Tumblr mostly. I think they're hot. The beard, the hair style, the glasses, the tats, the piercings, the fur....SWOON. Here are some samples:






Like the term "bear," hipster has many definitions and iterations. So my selection here may not be what you consider a hipster bear. But I bet there are some similarities. For me the one consistent is the beard. Grrrr.

BEHR HUGS!

3 comments:

Rick said...

Every man that can should grow a beard. The price of razor blades is a JOKE.
Mark I can relate on the suit shopping. I just hate getting rid of clothes so I have sport coats from high school, and my letter jackets as well that I can't even get up on my arms. I could open my own store with all the different sizes in my closet.
I hope the cutie is there for a special fitting when you go back.

Stan said...

Going to the mall and department stores is a total waste of. I went through it myself.
I finally decided to try Joseph H Banks. They were very nice and helpful and altered the suit to fit me. I needed the suit for my nieces wedding. What a pain in the ass these damn weddings are, I haven't bought a suit in years because I never needed on. It all came to around $350 but it was well worth it because now I have one that actually fits me.

I don't know who these dept. stores (Macys, Pennys, Lord & Taylor, etc.) are supposed to be catering to. Most men my age or even younger all seem to be on the heavy side.

Mark in DE said...

I like hipster bears/cubs too. Have you ever seen the show 'Fast & Loud' on TV? The lead mechanic Aaron has a hipster haircut in the most recent season that, along with his beard, makes him adorable.