02 February 2014

Sunday Favorite: 93


It's been a while since I've truly blogged and for that I apologize. There's been lots I've wanted to say...but I cannot help but fear the loss of your respect and friendship. So it's best sometimes to swallow my bile and be silent.

The New Year has started out at a frantic pace. I've been busy at work - learning new classes to conduct, creating online tutorials, helping with the pilot of a new class - and it's nice to be busy. Unfortunately, it hasn't made the days go by any faster. They've been dragging their sorry asses.

There's something I need to do this year and soon: lose weight. At my three-month checkup I weighed in at 316 pounds, my heaviest ever. Oddly, the doctor said nothing (but I got a good tongue lashing from my mother). I know I need to lose weight; my joints hurt, it's difficult to move, I sometimes feel out of breath, and finding clothes to cover my ample frame is getting really expensive. I still have my gym membership but I just cannot seem to find the motivation - or nerve - to walk back in. Silly, I know, since I've paid the membership fee since joining in 2003. I hate crowds and while I know logically no one is looking at me, I fear everyone is "laughing at the fat man." I wish I had someone to go with. That would make it easier. Back in the day I used to go early in the morning....I'd be at the gym by 4 am. I am not certain I can do that again. And at the end of the day I really don't want to go. See? Excuses.

Today is Super Bowl Sunday. I'm rooting for the Denver Broncos despite they being in the AFC. Normally I root for the NFC team but I just cannot root for Seattle; last week's game against the 49ers was atrocious, especially in the referee calls. Here's hoping the refs in today's game are more unbiased. Oh! And here's hoping all those involved are better sportsmen.

I'm looking ahead to the end of April when I'll take a couple days off for my birthday. Not sure what I'll be doing. I may go back to Arizona for D'back games (baseball). Or get a room at either the California Grand or the Disneyland Hotel for a couple of nights. Maybe I'll take a trip to Solvang or Santa Barbara. Not sure yet.

Today's picture was garnered from someplace on FB I believe. I really don't remember. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do (click it to see it slightly bigger).

BEHR HUGS

5 comments:

Stan said...

Mark:
I feel your pain. I'm struggling with weight issues myself. I sent you an e-mail.
Stan

Rick said...

You're not the first one to say that the year has started at a frantic pace. I will have to agree. In part, because I had a cold/bronchitis before the holidays that lasted till about a week ago. So...I've been behind from the time the ball dropped. Can you believe it's February?
I know what you mean about the weight and the gym. I just canceled my membership after 20 plus years. How much $$$$$?

Nik_TheGreek said...

Well come back. Nice to hear from you! :-)

Howard in CT said...

May I offer a suggestion in the weight loss department?
I too gave up my gym membership - about 2 yrs ago. I hadn't used it for about 3 yrs, after we moved, because it was just too inconvenient to get to. (Part excuse, I know, but part reality as well.)
My solution? Walking. Simple as that. There are a lot of walking trails where we live now, and it's easy to find time to walk, be it 15 minutes, or 30, or whatever works for you.
Of course, it doesn't work for me now, when we just had another 13 fucking inches of snow drop on us. (I live 60 miles east of Manhattan in SW Ct.) But it might work for you in CA. Is there a city park nearby?
Give it a try. Don't be discouraged. Don't beat yourself up. I wish you well.

Wonder Man said...

hope you are okay