19 June 2014

Behr Followup


Thanks to all who commented on my previous post; I appreciate it. A little followup:

My position was eliminated...so really this blog had nothing to do with it. I highly doubt that they knew about it since I rarely if ever accessed it from the work computer. Anything I've said in my blog about my work, job, or company (all former) has been generic without specifics.

As for contacting an attorney...while the separation agreement DID indicate that I should consult an attorney (at my own expense), I did not. I went ahead and signed the document and mailed it back yesterday. There's no way I would ever win in court and I would end up losing more than I could ever hope to gain. Besides...my job elimination was business not personal. I wasn't discriminated against because there are others in my department who are triple threats - over 40, female, and of color. I only fall into two protected classes: over 40 and LGBT. I was low man on the totem pole position-wise. (Yes yes that makes me sound like a big ole bottom. Get yet minds out of the gutter! *grin*)

I had a conversation with one of the Business Partners a few days ago. I told him how disappointed I am with how it was handled - not being able to say goodbye after 18 years, the hush-hush slip me out the door manner, not being able to sufficiently gather my personal belongings, and just the overall feeling that I had done something wrong although I hadn't. He appreciated my feedback and we talked about why it is handled that way. It was a fairly decent conversation. 

I've heard from a couple of people who are shocked about it. But I know life for them - and me - goes on. I've filed for unemployment (yes, I'm eligible although I'll be getting severance pay). I've poked around some career sites and started to play with my resume. I haven't told many of my friends. I'm not so sure I am going to. What's the point? I don't want sympathy. And I know that people don't know what to say. However...I know some of my friends have been through this before and they may have good advice. 

Today is the first day that I haven't gotten up out of bed right away. I just wasn't feeling it. I think it's catching up to me. This past week has gone by so quickly...I cannot believe it's Thursday already. I'm trying to maintain a positive outlook and keep my sense of humor. Misery loves company - a guy I've chatted with on the bear social networking site and who wants to meet me told me he lost his job last Friday too. It must be an epidemic.

So that's where I am...not much further along but not too far back. Hope everyone is doing well.

BEHR HUGS

4 comments:

Howard in CT said...

Even tho' your job was eliminated, was there nothing else in that company your 18 yrs of service would qualify you to do? Are they just not going to train people anymore as you used to do?

Stan said...

Good to hear from you. I'm sure Winston likes having you around more. Although if he's like mine he just sleeps all day.

a{GAY}tekeeper{iam} said...

sending positive energy your way

Rick said...

Yeah Mark time will get away from you and you'll be wondering where the days went. When you get rested you will want some structure in your life.
Unemployment? Milk it baby!