27 May 2009

Admission

I'm going to be honest...I personally have not taken much of the gay marriage debate to heart. Yes, I donated money to the No on 8 campaign last year. Yes, I had a bumper sticker in my truck window. And yes, if someone approached me about the topic I would debate the merits of the issue. Part of me hearkens back to the fundamentalist Christian upbringing that I had. And part of me thinks "Hey, if I were to find someone I wanted to marry why shouldn't I?" Being single can sometimes suck. But for the most part I believe I will always be single. I'm not really boyfriend material (my ex will definitely agree with me on that). Just because I don't want to get married though doesn't mean that my GLBT brothers and sisters shouldn't. I think the problem is that this country has allowed a reunion between Church and State. In last year's debate, many large organized religions banded together to get Prop 8 passed. We in our innate humanity thought that our friends and family would vote against it because - well hey they love/like us and they see the inherent absurdity of not allowing us to marry. But we were wrong. People reached deep into their core beliefs and we came up the losers. Putting this issue back onto the California ballot in 2010 will only result in another defeat. I don't mean to sound pessimistic but I honestly think that is the reality. So what do we do? Do we continue to educate, expend energy and money, and attempt this again? Or do we let sleeping dogs lie? I welcome your thoughts and comments...because I'm torn between getting really involved and just allowing my apathy to wash over me.


1 comment:

David Dust said...

I know exactly how you feel. I would be much more passionate about marriage equality, if I happened to be passionate about marrying someone. I know that sounds selfish, but it's how I feel.

XOXOXOXO