25 April 2014

Just Sayin'


Since my birthday is this weekend, I took yesterday and today off from work to make a "long" weekend and to kill off a couple of vacation days. Last year for the "big" birthday I went to Phoenix and caught a couple of ballgames (go D'backs!) but this year I decided not to spend the money. I decided to stay close to home and do local stuff...yeah yeah I'll hit Disneyland on my birthday because I love wearing the "Happy Birthday" button and having cast members say happy birthday when you know damn well they don't want to. I'm kind of evil that way.

So anyway, yesterday I took my parents to the nearest retail outlet mall - Citadel - primarily to do shoe shopping. I also picked up some underwear. (I know you were all dying to know that.) I had received a couple of "birthday discount" emails from stores at the outlet and thought I'd poke through. One such store was Van Heusen, maker of men's dress clothes (shirts, slacks, suits, ties). I was looking through the ties and some big guy started talking to his wife. Based on his accent it was apparent he was not American (perhaps South African? Australian? New Zealander?). He was telling her that he was thinking of "getting the grey one but I decided it was too gay."

I let a couple of beats pass before I said "I hope that's gay as in happy."

I was a bit surprised at myself. I didn't say it TO the man but more "talking out loud." I doubt he heard me as I said it in a very matter-of-fact, normal tone of voice.

It got me to thinking that perhaps I should approach the guy since there were two young boys in tow with this couple...I wanted to tell this brute that he was spreading his ignorance and his bias to his kids and - since they probably were 7 and younger - there is always a strong probability that one of the two young lads could be gay themselves.

I didn't want to cause a scene, just tell the guy that he needs to STFU when it comes t such comments. But...I didn't take it any further. Does that make me a coward? 

BEHR HUGS

3 comments:

a{GAY}tekeeper{iam} said...

DO enjoy your earth~day weekend

Stan said...

My Birthday was last week. It was uneventful. I'm 63 y/o now.

You can't change peoples minds like that. Your not a coward. These days you don't know what people will do if you confront them. Happy Birthday!
Hugs,
Stan

Nik_TheGreek said...

Happy birthday! :-)
I'm not sure what I would have done in your place. I wouldn't want to make a scene either. Good for you for at least trying to say something...